23 aprilie 2008

Muchobene

 



I have been using muchobene for almost a week now, so I can provide some feedback regarding the service. I started using it from this  post of Guy Kawasaki [who by the way, is an advisor for Muchobene], considering it interesting enough to give it a shot.




It enables website and blog owners to add real-time chat answers from a community of people. Think of it as instant messaging meets Yahoo! Answers.




What has happened since then?



Well not much, that I can say. During the first days I noticed that I did not get to many questions, and the scarce interface seemed to stay in the way of figure out how to put it to a better use. I did notice the rating system, though.



 



But that changed, not dramatically, if you want to know, since I have modified the status from available into ask me!





I failed in finding answers to how is the weather/time in San Pablo/Juan, a romantic restaurant in New York, but I still managed to answer who wrote The DaVinci Code, how muchobene works, what ya means [even though I am not sure about the last one].

I must say that the number of questions increased during the last two days.

My questions, on the other side, regarded who is Ion Iliescu, who is Michael Waltzer. If for the first one, someone still found time to answer, guessing he is a Romanian guy, for the last one, I kept receiving emails that said there might be a shot of someone having the answer. I did not found out how the email system works.

I'll try to keep you posted.

That was on the bright side. Now, on with the dark side. I wasn't surprised to see the requirements of muchobene, but when I have checked out my task manager I saw a whopping 50 megs used by the service. That's not nice, never mind I have 1.5 G. Also, Flash 9 might cause some restrictions.

I would love to see that the probability to be asked again depends more on the rating, and not on the mood of the user. As I see it, you would only get more dumb questions, as well as dumb answers. I wonder if there is any geographical pinpointing.

I can imagine a full globe of muchobene users and even then, things might not work as well as planned. There is still a large amount of clutter and noise on the web, and it will only rise, tide-like, and not disappear. As I saw recently in a post about Wikipedia, putting lipstick on a pig does not transform it. It's still a pig. Sorry for the hard figure of speech.

The service fails to show its benefits during the first days. That is not a characteristic of a killer application. More of a killed application. But I will keep it for some more time, just to make a top of the dumbest questions I managed to get.